The Come Alive Outside Design Challenge creates the opportunity for teams of college and high school students to work together with landscape professionals to design and build engaging outdoor learning environments at schools and childcare facilities. In partnership with Come Alive Outside and The Kitchen Community, Designs by Sundown and Lifescape hosted a Design Challenge in 2016 and brought top college Landscape Architecture and Landscape Management students to Denver to participate in the program. On October 6th-8th, students from BYU-Idaho, Kansas State University and The University of Oklahoma visited Denver PREP Academy and worked with the students and teachers there to create initial ideas for the new space.
The designs below are the final submissions from each of the three colleges teams. The designs will be voted on by the students at PREP Academy and judged by a panel of professionals according to the following criteria. We will announce the winners in January of 2017:
- The design encourages interaction with the space using all five senses.
- The design integrates the creative input of the students and teachers who will use it.
- The design creates a Certified Wildlife Habitat.
- The design effectively manages and utilizes rainwater.
- The initial phase of the design can be built on a budget of $10,000.
Kansas State University
University of Oklahoma
In partnership with: